Thursday, December 16, 2010

Using the GAME Plan Process with Students

Using the GAME Plan with my students would become second nature to them. Most of my curriculum is Problem Based Learning. Students are introduced to a real world problem and then need to address ideas and goals towards solving the problem. Students take action in their quest to come up with the best solution while carefully monitored by the teacher and if need be guided into the correct direction. They are also monitored on how well students work together on a project. After the project is complete and has gone through the testing phase, students will be able to reflect on the weaker areas of the project. Students after they have assessed the project for weak points will then be able to come back and make adjustments to improve their first design.

Incorporating NETS-S in Problem Based Activities has been very beneficial for students and teachers to stay on track to instilling technology not only in the classroom but in the community. It has allowed me to create new web tools to help students reflect on their projects. Students have found when using online collaboration web tools they gather ideas to innovate their previous design on a project. Using online web tools also gives students a chance to showcase their projects to the outside public. NETS-S has given students the goals that will benefit them in the future.

References:
Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

3 comments:

  1. I find my students by far have issues with the "Evaluation" portion of the gameplan. Many evaluate how they performed personally, as well as in their team. This area is one that I have to look at more closely. Do you notice this about your students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that students have trouble going back to a project that they have been working so diligently on to evalutate what they can change on their project. Students reflections should be a very important part of the learning process and the GAME Plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that I could do more Problem Based Learning in my class. I was just having a conversation with a social studies teacher from the last school I worked at and was telling him how I wished he was at my school. He told me the only way that he would move to another school is if the administration was flexible with allowing him to do his simulations. When he does simulations they do an excellent job with content, but it is not in the same order that our district requires them to be taught. I believe that teachers should be given the freedom so that students have an opportunity to have a great education. Using the GAME plan will work well with allowing for this freedom because all will see learning is happening.

    ReplyDelete