Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Monitoring My GAME Plan

Monitoring my GAME Plan and finding the information and resources that I need has not been a problem. I want to incorporate the knowledge of creating a Wiki for students and teachers in the district. When doing some research online I have come across many tutorials that will assist you when incorporating Wiki’s in the classroom. I have been able to share my findings with some of my colleagues through e-mail but have not received any feedback to the teachers about the use of Wiki’s in the classroom.

I may have to change my GAME Plan somewhat in order to provide a better understanding of the goals and how to assess the goals of incorporating web tools in the classroom.

When sitting through a professional Development Day and a class on websites it is clear to me that many teachers do not have the patience for the learning of web tools and how they could be benifeical to their classrooms. I may change one of my goals to provide examples of how Wiki’s can be used in the classroom

One of the goals is to create a Wiki to share students work as an online portfolio. I would like to do some research not only on Wiki’s but all portfolio based web tools, to decipher which tool could be the best for students and the teachers in the district.

3 comments:

  1. Chris,

    I have found that too, that teachers just dont want to take the time to use the technology. They dont have time to learn something new, which is what we are trying to teach our students. Some teachers, not all, need to see the importance of technology. I think most do, but on the other hand like you said some dont want to take the time to learn it.

    I think a problem with that is that those teachers are the one who are not confident in their computer skills. Maybe before showing them the power of Wikis, perhaps some PD in basic computer tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will suggest that you try wikispaces.com as a starting point. It handles multiple media for archival purpose, allows multiple accounts, and is simple to manage. Once the student's create a log in, they can start their own wiki if they desire. Many of my students have begun their own wikipage's for my class They create a link on the class page in order for me to check their work. In this way, I can respect their authorship, as well as have them work digitally in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C. Douglas,
    I have used wikispaces.com and am very happy with the outcome. It can be easily set-up and student friendly. It would be perfect to archive student projects throughout their high school years.
    Nish,
    I agree with your comment that teachers that do not like to learn the technology need to be taught basic computer skills. Sometimes it maybe necessary for administration to force some teachers to change to technical education for what is best for the next generation.

    ReplyDelete